Monday, September 18, 2006

Netflix quality control

I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem with Netflix.

Last night I was all set to watch a movie that I received over the weekend from Netflix. After waiting for my player to unsuccessfully read the disc, I ejected it and found a large crack in DVD.

This is not the first time this has happened to me.

I have returned three DVDs this year that were totally unplayable. This does not count the DVDs that skipped or froze, but were still somewhat viewable.

Netflix is always quick to send out a replacement DVD. That's not the issue. The issue is whether Netflix checks DVDs when they are returned or before they send them out again.

My sister has also experienced problems with her Netflix DVDs. Maybe they should start checking the DVDs before they go out. It must cost them a fortune just to ship out replacement movies.

I realize Netflix handles millions of DVD every year. I don't care. It's the DVDs I can't watch that annoy me.

3 comments:

  1. Steve,

    I have had perhaps two over the last few years that were completely cracked and unplayable. To play devil's advocate, I wonder if they were fine when they left Netflix's distribution center and were cracked by our good friends with the USPS? No disparagement towards the postal workers, but the packaging is hardly robust enough to protect DVDs against the weight of junk mail and election material (if there is a difference between the two). I'm sure Netflix considers the replacement cost of a DVD to be minor compared to the price of cardboard envelopes.

    BTW, I found your blog via a local search using Atlas (http://atlas.freshlogicstudios.com/) . Wish I had the commitment to mine that you have towards yours. Happy holidays!

    Reed from Elgin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize that this is an old post, but it came up on my search for just this issue. I'm new to Netflix, and we've had one stopping, skipping DVD after the next. I got two consecutive unplayable copies of Babel. I'm now gutting out these problems for up to a half hour before I pull the plug and ask for another disc, but it's getting really, really old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:29 PM

    Here's one of the main problems, folks:

    Netflix releases their illegally-copied DVDs (bogus, from outside/inside the US) on a regular basis - scratched, broken, poor video/audio, skipped sequences, etc - on a regular basis). They've 'conveniently' excluded themselves at their only e-mail contacts for such on their website for LEGITIMATE complaints from customers (you have to post the 'legal holders' at the e-mail addresses on their website for REAl complaints and arguments - including their 'poor DVD quality'). By giving us only 'phone access' for complaints, they essentially REMOVE themselves from legal process by forcing a 'phone person' to relay our grievances......duuuhhhhhh! How convenient is that? and where's the legal process you can follow up on? (...did you jot down the name, the date and the exact time you spoke with her about your problem? Get real...)

    If you have a 'complaint', don't just request a 'replacement' - drop their owners (still online) a nasty note about their lousy, illegal service.

    ~Zona Bob, Tucson
    ___

    ReplyDelete