Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Primary election

Today is primary day for my northwest suburban community. The polls opened at 6:00 AM and I arrived a little after 6:30 AM. There were several election workers sitting waiting for me and I was surprised to see I was the only person there. I showed my driver's license, signed in and was assigned my ballot with #1 written on it. I asked one of the workers if I was the first one there and she replied that I had the honor.

Now granted that the primary election was for village trustees only and whittles down the number of candidates to six for the regular election in April.

This is still disappointing. On Election Day in November, I showed up at the same time at the same polling place and waited in line for over an hour. I'm not complaining about that. I'm glad people take the electoral process seriously. I'm just a little disappointed that people appear to be uninterested in these local primaries. To me the local elections have a more direct effect on me than state or national elections. Local ordinances and local taxes have a greater impact on my daily life than national laws.

The polls close at 7:00 PM and I hope a greater number of people make the effort to turn out. I really doubt it. Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment