Monday, October 4, 2004

Sammy Sosa

As long as I'm dumping on Sammy Sosa, I might as well share my story about Sammy Sosa and the great 1998 home run chase. As many of you may recall, Sosa and Mark McGwire were running neck-to-neck with each other to beat the (then) season home run record of 61 set by Roger Maris back in 1961. McGwire won the race by hitting home run #62 on September 8, 1998 (ironically against the Cubs).

On September 13, 1998, my wife, son and I had tickets to see the Cubs play the Milwaukee Brewers at Wrigley Field. In that game, Sosa hit two home runs -- numbers 61 and 62! I had my old trusty old (circa 1980) Canon A-1 film camera with me and managed to get a picture just after he hit home run #61 and snapped several pictures as he circled the bases. The picture for #62 did not turn out as well as I did not use the telephoto lens.

I've posted a picture of #61.

No comments:

Post a Comment